Carnmoney Primary School opened on its current site on 10th February 1964 to cater for the educational needs of the surrounding area. The school was previously located on the Ballyduff Road (mid 1850s - 1964). Prior to this, it was located in the grounds of Carnmoney Church. The history of the school dates back to 1798.
The school occupies a site of approximately two acres in Carnmoney Village which is situated on the slopes of Carnmoney Hill. The school was built to cater for 448 pupils, however, in the 1970s the school had an enrolment of almost 1000 pupils.
Currently the school has 387 pupils in fourteen classes.
- a main hall, which is used for assemblies, physical education, school performances, meetings and functions;
- fourteen classrooms;
- a library / small group room;
- ICT suite;
- a school meals’ kitchen;
- dining hall;
- 2 meeting rooms;
- a large group room;
- 2 sensory rooms;
- hygiene/medical room;
- learning support room.
Outside Facilities include:
- 3 playgrounds (P1 pupils have their own designated play area);
- a football pitch;
- 3 outdoor covered learning areas;
- 'The Hut'
- 'The Shelter'
- 'The Corners'
- a school garden;
- learning garden area - 'The Entry'.
- 2 challenge trails;
- fixed playground equipment that includes a slide and climbing frame;
- 2 bicycle shelters;
- a large stage area in the main playgrounds;
- a multi-use games area (MUGA); and
- extensive grass areas to the side and rear of the premises.
The high standard of accommodation and facilities ensures that all pupils are educated in appropriate surroundings. The surroundings are safe and secure and provide a very pleasant learning environment for the pupils of the school.